Why Plurk Really Kicks It - Cliques!

I just recently got back from Blog World and Plurk got no love. I mean the term was almost non existent and there certainly wasn’t much discussion around it. Twitter is where everyone chooses to spend most of their time and I can see why.

Twitter is the biggest bar in town. If you’re going to go “get social” you’re going to twitter. If you aren’t at least including twitter in your list of spots; you’re going to miss most of the party. The number of people on twitter and on it a lot is staggering. Plurk is growing but it’s not the Goliath that is twitter.

What makes plurk a worthy competitor and something totally different besides the GUI? It’s Cliques. On twitter how am you going to talk to a “crew”? Presumably if you have lot’s of friends you’re going to have lot’s of “crews” and be a member of varying activity in all of them. Plurk allows you to chat with ease with a crew of 3 or your entire friends list totally off the public time-line. Imagine trying to generate a good yet still confidential(to some extent) discussion through only direct messaging?

Some would say you could coordinate through email or other networking sites. To that I say you’re right; you could. Thing with plurk is you don’t need to know / give away your email for basic conversation. It makes “being friends” a lot easier in every way.

For a while at Plurk cliques weren’t working properly. For whatever reason people stopped using it as much and my interest began to wane. Now that it’s back I’m seeing lot’s of productive as well as fun group private messages come through my cliques.

Bottom line is if you aren’t on Twitter (@Bloggeries) - Get on it. If you aren’t tapping into the stored “offline” online information pool and power of cliques - Get on it!

Stay tuned for more things plurk,

- Rob

18 Responses to “Why Plurk Really Kicks It - Cliques!”

1. Eyebee on September 30th, 2008 | 8:40 pm

I use Twitter to keep in touch with some friends, some colleagues, family, and to read news and useful items.

For me, Plurk is, so far, for playtime (which is not very often!).

Eyebee’s last blog post..New Dollar Bill

2. Bloggeries on September 30th, 2008 | 8:42 pm

@Eyebee I hear you; sometime in the near future send a private message to all or some of your friends. Adds a new dimension to the social space.

3. Thoughtwrong on September 30th, 2008 | 8:43 pm

Hey man, you hit the nail on the head…or head on the nail…Gahh, I can’t remember.

Anyways, so cliques are a very important feature of Plurk, and could be put to use in more ways than they are currently. There is a lot of room for expansion and growth on Plurk and I think that is what makes it one service that, while like Twitter, is completely different and will stay around for a while.

Not too long ago Plurk was featured in PCMag’s Top 100 Undiscovered Websites. This is a major accomplishment, and I think that if Plurk continues down the route it has taken it will become as large as Twitter. Well, close anyways!

-Thoughtwrong

Thoughtwrong’s last blog post..To Skin A Plurk…

4. David Bradley on October 1st, 2008 | 2:31 am

How does one create a clique, are there cliques one can join, like ye usenet groups of olde?

David Bradley’s last blog post..Melamine Contaminated Milk

5. mtamim on October 22nd, 2008 | 10:25 pm

hey, plurk is really great…

mtamim’s last blog post..Wawancara E-Lifestyle Metro TV

6. Crunchberry Project » Plurk on October 29th, 2008 | 8:29 am

[...] some attention lately from tech-bloggers such as CNET and SomewhatFrank.   But Plurk-user Bloggeries contends that Plurk’s certain je ne sais quoi is Cliques: a method of grouping some of [...]

7. Allan McDougall on November 5th, 2008 | 9:50 am

Yes, what’s a clique? And what’s the difference between Twitter and Plurk?

Allan McDougall’s last blog post..End-of-life interviews . . . and verbs Part II

8. Linda Davenport on November 5th, 2008 | 9:52 am

Ok…you’ve convinced me I need to look into Plurk. Time for me to broaden my social horizons. Thanks for the nudge and the good advice.

Linda Davenport’s last blog post..Good morning, America!

9. ankit on March 8th, 2009 | 1:42 am

I dont quite agree with you there. But thanks for a different perspective.

ankit’s last blog post..India doing well in New Zealand

10. travesti on September 20th, 2010 | 3:24 pm

greats, thank you shared Trakya Üniversitesi

11. Hayley on July 20th, 2011 | 5:02 pm

I had never heard of Plurk till now! Thanks, I’ll give a try now!!!

xoxoxo hayley

Hayley’s last blog post..Hot Singing Tips for Beginners

12. supeople on January 23rd, 2012 | 3:45 am

???????, ?????? ???????????? ????????! :)
    supeople’s last blog post..? ?????? ???????

13. China Backpacks on July 9th, 2012 | 11:16 pm

Now chocolate is sweet

14. Hotels in Manali on September 6th, 2012 | 1:52 am

This is the kind of manual that needs to be given at the blogs. Budget Hotels in Manali Thanks for sharing information on this topic.

15. Tisa Koizumi on August 18th, 2013 | 8:54 am

Plurk is growing but it’s not the Goliath that is twitter.

16. Frankie Breslow on October 15th, 2013 | 4:18 am

Aw, this was an incredibly good post. Spending some time and actual effort to produce a really good article… but what can I say… I put things off a lot and don’t manage to get anything done.

Frankie Breslow’s last blog post..Life-style Coordinating Brand name Eyesight Wears Only At Your internet Purchasing Bargains

17. sac longchamp pliage pas cher on December 28th, 2013 | 3:40 pm

Jeanette (@VaughanJeanette) asks: From big #Bachelorette fan! What do u think is the one factor that would bring couples increased success post-air? @AliFedotowsky @eonline
    sac longchamp pliage pas cher

18. Michael Kors Handbags Outlet on March 8th, 2014 | 8:01 pm

n ch? were determined to be at the funeral home tovenerate the General.The General’s family had to constantly thank the people and wishedthem to come back and stop standing outside the street crying to affecttheir own health. Under the scenario of feasibility,5 percent and the CPI is about 7. Federer ch?c, and the Army after his official retirement.His leadership and that of the Party and President Ho Chi Minh was instrumental to defeating the French military’s most redoubtable fortress.” said Huy.